WQMag.com

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is coming up in October and there will be many events running throughout the month to remind, 'educate' and make women aware of Breast Cancer. There will be walks and races, fundraisers, free mammograms, more fundraisers, products sold collecting more funds, breast health seminars provided by local hospitals, more fundraisers.... Let's take a breadth.

The month of October was designated for Breast Cancer awareness close to 30 years ago and was the brain child of the American Cancer Society and Astra-Zeneca, a chemical/pharmaceutical company. The intention was to make women aware of breast screenings with mammography and raise lots of money for research to find "the cure". Well, it's worked. Most women have their yearly mammogram in the month of October because of the constant fearful reminders and lots and lots of money comes into the coffers of the American Cancer Society throughout the month from the countless fundraisers. What hasn't worked is finding "the cure"!
Breast cancer rates are forever rising, more money is forever needed to find the cure, very little has changed in the realm of detection and treatment, and too many women still die from this hidious disease. Shouldn't we pause this October and ask a few questions and demand a few answers?

My first question is: where does all that money go? The amount of money that's been collected or gifted to the American Cancer Society over the past 30 years could have eradicated hunger and many diseases around the world, given every person shelter and a TV, and maybe sent a few people to the moon. How much actually goes to reasearch? And what kind of reasearch gets funding? Should the American Cancer Society be made to report this information to its supporters?

Another question is: is there a cure? We've been told there is! We've been told that it's a matter of time and money. We're kept busy with walks for the cure and having mammograms, and practicing patience and waiting for the time that curing breast cancer will be dispensed as a vaccination. Well, are we naive? One of the things that's holding up "the cure" is that the causes are not known -- or are they. How can the cause be known if each person who has cancer has it for different reasons and causes, each person has a differently functioning immune systems, each person has different lifestyle issues, and most importantly, no one addresses the role of all the environmental causes that are manufactured and lucrative. There is no cookie-cutter cure on the horizon. Presently, treatments are stagnant - surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. The idea has been to throw everything at it and see what sticks. It may stick for one person and kill many others; but is that good enough? Is that everything that we can do? The cancer industry has, in general, not looked at or studied a lot of more natural things that may be helpful either against the disease or to help the patient so that disease isn't so devasting -- because they can't be patented and generate profits. Little or no reasearch funding is dispensed to those scientists and doctors outside the establishment and some of these brilliant people are ousted from their profession for their chanllenge to the status quo. But WE don't demand that no stone be unturned! We don't demand that natural remedies become part of the industry's protocols even though they're unprofitable.

One more question is: what are we doing about prevention? Again, the question is complex. The window of opportunity to prevent breast cancer is rapidly closing. The onslaught of chemicals, bad food. and radiation in our environment is seemingly unstoppable. There should be a lot we, individually, can do about our lifesyles and diets -- if it is our fault, but we are limited by the availability of good, clean ingredients. There's almost nothing we, individually, can do about the quality of our planet. Or is there? It's interesting that a corporation like Astra-Zeneca, who makes some of the very chemicals that affect our health has been behind Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Oh, but they're also working on "the cure"!

Let's become AWARE this coming month about our options. If mammograms can cause one women her breast cancer, should we be having mammograms?
If there are products that over time are dangerous to our health, should we buy them and perpetuate the problem? If you live under high-voltage power lines or cell phone towers, shouldn't you make loud noise, if they put them there after you bought your home? If radiation medical testing is causing some cancers, should we be having so many x-rays and CT-scans? Should we demand that our food is not chemically grown, chemically processed, genetically modified, cloned or radiated before we eat it? Should we demand that we get "a cure" for all the money we've generously given and raised all these years -- or at least demand an accounting of whose pocket in gets into? We are the most generous and giving people I know -- unfortunately we're also too gullible and trusting!

I know I'm kind of hitting hard here, but we need a good shaking up! Cancer is the #1 killer world-wide! What we've done and are doing is not working. I'm not suggesting that the American Cancer Society hasn't done some good things to support people who have cancer. What I am suggesting is that we take resposibility here to change what we can change and demand more from those who've promised to deliver. I propose that instead of 'walking' to raise money, we 'walk' to demand results that have been elusive because of money!

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rita, I so agree with you that is why this year after the walk we are hosting "A NIght of Pink and Whtie" The first Annual Breast Cancer Survivor Gala. We will be celebrating what the research has done thus far and honoring local surivors. Check it out.
ANIGHTOFPINKANDWHITE.COM
We would love to have you join us!!!!
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service