WQMag.com

Tips To Help Prevent It

When a group of women were asked about the health issue that scares them the most, breast cancer was the disease most often cited. Although there’s no definitive way to ensure you won’t be a victim of this common form of cancer, there are a variety of steps you can take to help reduce your risk of this disease. Although not every preventative strategy on this list is proven, there’s enough preliminary research to suggest these lifestyle changes help with prevention of breast cancer:

Start moving

Evidence is strong that regular, aerobic exercise can cut the risk of breast cancer by up to half. Although risk reduction is highest in women who exercise frequently and vigorously, risk can be reduced up to 20% by taking a brisk walk for thirty minutes three times per week. Exercise is thought to exert its protective effect by lowering estrogen levels which fuel breast cancer cells to grow.

Love your vegetables

Although both fruits and vegetables seem to offer some protection against breast cancer, the real stars in the cancer prevention arena are the cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and radishes. These vegetables contain phytochemicals known as isothiocyanates which have been shown to neutralize the effects of carcinogens. The helps to prevent damage to cellular DNA which can result in cancer. Consider adding some of these inexpensive and tasty vegetables to your diet for the prevention of breast cancer.

Reduce or eliminate alcohol

Studies have shown that even one to two alcoholic drinks per day can raise a woman’s breast cancer risk by up to twenty percent and three drinks per day elevates the risk by up to thirty percent. The take home message is cut back on alcohol consumption and add a healthy substitute such as green tea which studies have shown may offer protection against breast cancer.

Limit red meat

Red meat, particularly highly processed and smoked meats, have been correlated with an increased risk of breast cancer in many studies. Of particular concern are meats that are grilled to high temperatures, allowing formation of potent carcinogens known as HCA’s HCA’s are thought to promote the development of breast cancer. Try to get more of your protein from vegetarian sources while limiting the intake of processed and grilled meats.

Avoid weight gain

Obesity has been shown to increase the risk of breast cancer. In addition, women who gain more than twenty pounds of weight after the age of eighteen are also at higher overall risk of breast cancer. Experts believe this is due to the effects of estrogen on breast cancer cells. Women who are obese or who gain weight have higher estrogen levels which can promote growth and development of breast cancer.

By making a few simple lifestyle changes for the prevention of breast cancer,
you may be able to reduce your risk significantly. Plus, you’ll be healthier overall.

By Dr. Kristie

Views: 25

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dr.Kristie, Good advice, but women should also be reminded that they should have their annual mammogrpahy. Early detection saves lives. This is breast cancer awareness month, and many facilities are offering reduced prices or no cost mammograms for the month of October. Take advantage of this ladies, it could save your life.

Dollars For Mammograms, Inc. is a no cost mammogram program for women who cannot afford them. We offer this service year round,not just the month of October. Check our website for specific application requirements and details, or any questions you may have. www.dollarsformammograms.org

Rita Bertler, President
Dollars For Mammograms, Inc.
Rita:

Please email more information about your specials. I am on the board for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk. I can pass on the information to the heads of the organization and possibly post it on the website as well! Thank you! Sarah

Rita Bertler said:
Dr.Kristie, Good advice, but women should also be reminded that they should have their annual mammogrpahy. Early detection saves lives. This is breast cancer awareness month, and many facilities are offering reduced prices or no cost mammograms for the month of October. Take advantage of this ladies, it could save your life.

Dollars For Mammograms, Inc. is a no cost mammogram program for women who cannot afford them. We offer this service year round,not just the month of October. Check our website for specific application requirements and details, or any questions you may have. www.dollarsformammograms.org

Rita Bertler, President
Rita my email is Sarah_W10@live.com! Thanks

Sarah Wakefield said:
Rita:

Please email more information about your specials. I am on the board for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk. I can pass on the information to the heads of the organization and possibly post it on the website as well! Thank you! Sarah

Rita Bertler said:

Rita Bertler, President
I am a 3 time survivor and each time I detected the lump through self exam. This is a CRITICAL step that women should practice, the same time every month.

I have about 20 Plexus Pink Breast Check Kits available that help magnify any abnormalities in the breast during a self exam. They sold for $40 but you can purchase mine for $15 each. It is a pad that you lays over the breast while performing your self check and allows your fingers to glide while eliminating the kinetic friction.

It makes a great gift for mothers, sisters and friends. You can reach me at 941-400-2490 or bonnie@thinkhealthnow.com if you would like to purchase any.
Thank you,
Bonnie Schiavone

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service