WQMag.com

Quite Possibly The Best News...Ever...

Everybody loves chocolate.
After reading this article you will love them even more.

Various studies conducted by scientists indicate that apart from being a treat to the taste buds, dark chocolate, when consumed in small quantities regularly, has wide ranging benefits for the human body

For example, it brings down blood pressure, improves skin texture, and uplifts the mood.

Since chocolate is a plant product,
it contains many beneficial substances that are found in those plants. The benefits of chocolate are largely due to the presence of Everybody loves chocolates. After reading this article you will love them even more.

The following paragraphs give a detailed description of the various benefits of dark chocolate.

Dark Chocolate Is Good For Heart

Dark chocolate is quite beneficial for the heart. It helps in reducing inflammation that might lead to cardiovascular diseases later on. The inflammation can cause plaque, rupture, and clot formation in the blood vessels within the heart. This increases a person's vulnerability towards heart attack, stroke, etc. So, eating dark chocolate is good for the heart!

However, it doesn't mean that one should gorge huge amounts of chocolate everyday, because there is no denying the fact that chocolate is a high-fat food. One should instead take small amounts on a regular basis.

Dark chocolate also helps in controlling high blood pressure. It is rich in cocoa which contains a class of antioxidants known as polyphenols. These antioxidants help in keeping a check on high blood pressure.

According to a study, another compound found in cocoa helps the body in processing nitric oxide, which is important for a healthy blood flow. Yet another study found that the flavanols present in cocoa prevent fat-like substances from clogging the arteries. Furthermore, these flavonols reduce the likelihood of platelets sticking together and causing clots.

Many of the benefits of chocolate derive from the fact that it is rich in various minerals, such as magnesium and copper, which play an important role in maintaining a normal blood pressure. Moreover, it is now a proven fact that dark chocolate reduces the levels of bad cholesterol in the body.

Dark Chocolate Gives You a Smoother Skin

Dark chocolate can give you a smoother and softer skin. Its high cocoa content is a good source of vitamin E and Omega-3 fatty acids, both of which lead to a soft and supple skin.

During a scientific study it was found that women who regularly consumed small amounts of chocolate displayed a significant reduction in redness as a response to UV exposure. On the other hand, there was no such change in the non-chocolate eaters. This is because the flavonoids present in chocolate absorb UV light, and decrease the skin's sensitivity to the sun.

Flavonoids help improve skin's texture and appearance by enhancing blood flow.

Chocolate Reduces Stress

Here is another benefit of chocolate: it has been found that chocolate reduces stress levels in the body and promotes happiness. A research shows that just the smell of chocolate has a relaxing effect on the body.

Chocolate promotes the production of chemicals known as endorphins. Endorphins perform various functions in our bodies, which include enhancing the immune system, relieving pain, delaying the ageing process, reducing stress, etc. They are generally produced during periods of heightened stress or injury: they block the pain signals produced by the nerves, and induce a feeling of well being and being in control.

Chocolate also contains tryptophan, an essential amino acid, which promotes the secretion of serotonin, regarded as the body's own antidepressant. Serotonin has an important role in reducing anxiety. Maintaining a normal tryptophan level in the body can be helpful in preventing cravings for fatty foods during periods of anxiety. Thus, eating chocolate in limited quantities might prove to be beneficial for those who are trying to shed those extra pounds.

Some Other Benefits of Chocolate:

Since the carbohydrates and fats of cocoa are easily digested by the body, dark chocolate is an excellent source of energy. Cocoa is a high energy product, providing about 1000 calories per kilogram.

Cocoa is also rich in some important minerals like magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium and manganese.

Are All Chocolates Good?

Though the various health benefits of chocolate are undeniable, one must always keep in mind the fact that chocolate is nevertheless a high calorie product. The fat and sugar content may lead to weight gains if one does not keep a check on his or her cravings. In order to get the most out of your chocolate, with minimum or negligible harm, one must consume only small portions at a time (about 6 to 7 grams per day).

Another point to be considered is that so far we have been talking about the health benefits of dark chocolate, which has at least 65-70 % cocoa content.
The regular milk chocolate won't have such benefits at all. Instead, it would do more harm than good. This is because, firstly, the cocoa content is not at all high enough to provide any health benefits. Secondly, the fat content is very high. And thirdly, the digestibility of beneficial substances present in the milk chocolate is greatly reduced by the milk content, as milk interferes with their absorption by the body. That is why one should always opt for the dark chocolate.

Today, many companies are trying to make huge profits from the Great Chocolate Rush. And for this purpose they are indulging in unethical practices. For example, many companies are using alkali products in their chocolates. The alkali content destroys the very components of chocolate that are supposed to be beneficial. So while choosing your chocolate, if you find alkali mentioned anywhere in the ingredients list, never opt for that chocolate.

These days, many organic chocolates can be found in the market. This is a much better option if you want to enjoy the real benefits of chocolate.

So the next time you buy a chocolate, there is no need to feel guilty.

Views: 26

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So when you want that piece of dark chocolate come see me at NV Events Planner / Custom Chocolates. I have great ideas for thank you and favors for all your events.

Thank you,
Vicki
www.NVEventsPlanner.com
Don't you also make chocolate? Wes
Love it! Thanks for the nutritional info. Admittedly, I almost always have a piece of Endangered Species dark chocolate in my purse. Always a great feel-good pick-me-up. Just one of those things I choose not to live without, now for more good reason!
There's a lot more to the chocolate story! Here's a whole new chapter that your readers might be interested in.

Although cocoa has many health benefits they are largely negated by the high amounts of refined sugar added to almost all chocolates. Sadly, that even includes the new, organic, designer chocolates.

The Healthy Chocolate Company, with it's brand new mfg facility in Sarasota, Florida, is the first company to truly solve this dilemma.

We use a special patent pending process that allows us to use xylitol as our bulk sweetener instead of sugar or artificial sweeteners. Xylitol occurs naturally in the body as well as in many plants and fruits, it is basically "tree sugar." Ours comes from organic Birch trees, has a glycemic index of 7, has no impact on blood sugar or insulin levels, and has numerous health benefits of its own. It can even be consumed by diabetics!

We also add 6 herbs to provide even more positive health benefits to those of cocoa. We have 67% organic cocoa in our dark chocolate product.

We are also in the final stages of perfecting our version of milk chocolate (using organic goat's milk) that overcomes the problems associated with milk negating the beneficial effects of cocoa.

We agree that many manufacturers have been taking advantage of all of the recent research that points toward cocoa's many positive health benefits and just wanted to set the record straight. Cocoa is very healthy although quite bitter. When making chocolate, even dark chocolate, manufacturers add a great deal of sugar (among other things) to help reduce / mask the bitterness. In doing so, they completely change the finished product for one that is health-supporting to one that is not. i.e., chocolate is not synonymous with cocoa yet the research on cocoa is being presented as though it were chocolate. I hope that this helps to correct some of the misinformation floating around.
As if I needed any more reasons to enjoy my dark chocolates!
What is your secret for keeping it from melting in this heat?

Lise-Anne Charbonneau said:
Love it! Thanks for the nutritional info. Admittedly, I almost always have a piece of Endangered Species dark chocolate in my purse. Always a great feel-good pick-me-up. Just one of those things I choose not to live without, now for more good reason!
Hello Chocolate Guru, What makes your chocolate healthy besides the cocoa? And where can we find it? Thanks.

Chocolate Guru said:
There's a lot more to the chocolate story! Here's a whole new chapter that your readers might be interested in.

Although cocoa has many health benefits they are largely negated by the high amounts of refined sugar added to almost all chocolates. Sadly, that even includes the new, organic, designer chocolates.

The Healthy Chocolate Company, with it's brand new mfg facility in Sarasota, Florida, is the first company to truly solve this dilemma.

We use a special patent pending process that allows us to use xylitol as our bulk sweetener instead of sugar or artificial sweeteners. Xylitol occurs naturally in the body as well as in many plants and fruits, it is basically "tree sugar." Ours comes from organic Birch trees, has a glycemic index of 7, has no impact on blood sugar or insulin levels, and has numerous health benefits of its own. It can even be consumed by diabetics!

We also add 6 herbs to provide even more positive health benefits to those of cocoa. We have 67% organic cocoa in our dark chocolate product.

We are also in the final stages of perfecting our version of milk chocolate (using organic goat's milk) that overcomes the problems associated with milk negating the beneficial effects of cocoa.

We agree that many manufacturers have been taking advantage of all of the recent research that points toward cocoa's many positive health benefits and just wanted to set the record straight. Cocoa is very healthy although quite bitter. When making chocolate, even dark chocolate, manufacturers add a great deal of sugar (among other things) to help reduce / mask the bitterness. In doing so, they completely change the finished product for one that is health-supporting to one that is not. i.e., chocolate is not synonymous with cocoa yet the research on cocoa is being presented as though it were chocolate. I hope that this helps to correct some of the misinformation floating around.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service